The Double O model came about because I was trying to play the ending licks on Santo and Johnny’s version of Tenderly and I ran out of fingerboard. I can play a note or two off the fingerboard, but it’s an adventure. So I thought, “Wouldn’t it be handy to have a full two octave fingerboard to work with”, and here it is.
To get enough room for the extended fingerboard, we had to move the sound hole back towards the bridge, so we went for the classic “petite bouche” oval sound hole like on Django Reinhardt’s guitar and then we added a couple of F holes just to be sure the sound can find it’s way out. We made this year’s version of the Double O with luscious figured Koa solid tops (damn, that stuff is expensive) with solid rosewood fingerboard and bridge.
I’m really happy with the way it turned out and now I’m playing Tenderly like a champ. 24 frets is a beautiful thing. By the way, we positioned the sound hole so that the inlay at the front edge is right at the 3rd octave. This turns out to be handy for quick forays into the sonic stratosphere or for sliding that last ending chord way up there.
- AA Solid Koa top
- Laminated Koa back, sides and neck
- Fishman Sonicore pickup with Presys preamp system
- On board tuner and notch filter for feedback control
- Rope binding on body and fingerboard
- Rosewood fingerboard with pearl diamond position markers
- Bound headstock with Rosewood veneer and inlaid pearl logo
- Gold and Ebony “violin” tuners
- Rosewood mustache bridge
- Custom fit extra deep hard shell case included